- 2017-01-25: update of v1.5
- 2016-10-31: update of v1.5
- 2016-10-03: update of v1.5
- 2015-10-28: new version 1.5
- 2015-09-09: update of v1.4
- 2015-03-17: update of v1.4
- 2013-11-12: new version 1.4
- 2012-03-26: new version 1.3
- 2010-08-31: new composite image of norway.
- 2009-10-27: version 1.2
- 2008-09-23: version 1.1
- version 1.1 : 2007-09-06
Radar - Radar images from various locations
Returns image or animation for a specified radarsite. The image/animation can originate from one specific radar or a composite of two or more radars. Either latest available image or image at a requested time. Only one animation pr. radarsite (most recent) is available. Note that a specific radarsite may sometimes become unavailable. This is usually due to technical problems at the radarsite, caused by lightning/difficult weather conditions.
A list of available data may be retrieved using the 'available' action. The radarsite, type, size and content parameters can be specified to reduce the size of the list, which is highly recommended as the full list can be very slow to download.
The nordic radar composite is restricted, and is not freely available. Please refer to our general documentation regarding this topic.
Please note that there are many combinations of parameter values for which we have no data,
so refer to
https://api.met.no/weatherapi/radar/1.5/available for an updated list of available data.
Area covered by the image/animation (composite) or name of the radar location (single radar).
Values: andoya, avinoreast, avinorwest, berlevaag, bomlo, central_norway, east_norway, finnmark, hagebostad, hasvik, hurum, mobileradar, nordic, nordland, nordland_troms, norway, rissa, rost, somna, south_norway, southeast_norway, southwest_norway, stad, trlagnordland, troms_finnmark, western_norway
avinorwest are only available for the type
bomlo (previously spelled boemlo) is available for the type
The single place images (
stad and somna) are available as
reflectivity_hires and size
mobileradar is only available for type
Size of image.
Note that size
normal means that the size of the image maps correctly to grid of the data source (one pixel for one data point).
normal are available for only some radar types,
Values: small, medium, large, normal
Type of radar information. Note that 'tma' is short for (Terminal control area).
Values: accumulated_12h, accumulated_1h, accumulated_24h, accumulated_3h, accumulated_6h, lightning, rainrate_with_phase, rainrate_with_phase_tma, reflectivity, reflectivity_hires, reflectivity_tma, xband
Type of data to be returned: Animation of the 8 most recent images (time parameter not supported for this type), or one specific image.
Animation is only available for the types reflectivity and lightning.
Values: image, animation
The time the radarimage was captured in ISO 8601 format. If omitted, the latest available image will be returned. This parameter can not be specified if value of parameter 'type' is set to 'animation'.
Value format: yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ssZ.
Check operational status of all radars, returns JSON with the following fields:
Note: This feature is experimental, new fields may be added without further notice.
Proper name of radar site
Uptime in percent during last 2 hours
Time of last communication
Array of API radar products which are using this radar
Optional code designating type of error:
Optional date when radar is expected back in operation
- version 1.5: new size medium which are fixed to 460px.
- For types lightning and reflectivity the images that were delivered as size normal are moved to size medium and new images are available as size normal (unscaled).
- Version 1.4 will expire on 2016-02-15
- version 1.4: new radar type lightning available for norway, new site helsfyr available for type xband
- version 1.4: parameter width has been replaced with size. Width and size of an image or animation may vary in width and height, even within the same size value.
- version 1.4: Several new radar types. See documentation above.
- version 1.3: expires at 2014-03-25.
- version 1.3: parameter type has been changed. It will now signify type of radar information.
- version 1.3: parameter content now has same function as parameter type in version 1.2.
- version 1.2: expires at 2012-05-15.
- New parameteres to radarsite: central_norway and western_norway
- Rissa is no longer a valid radarsite
- Version 1.1 is available until 2010-02-16