- HISTORICAL FORECASTS
Locationforecast - Weather forecast for a specified place
This service delivers a full weather forecast for one location, that is, a forecast with several parameters for a nine-day period.
The parameters vary between different are temperature, wind speed, wind direction, pressure, precipitation, cloudiness, fog, lowClouds, mediumClouds, highClouds and humidity.
Version 2.0 defaults to JSON format for data.
XML must be accessed via the
The XML format is considered legacy, and as similar to 1.9 as possible except for additional time periods and the XML Schema URI. Future enhancements will primarily be added to the JSON format.
Along with the new JSON format we also have a new set of weather icons, in PNG, SVG and PDF formats. They can be downloaded as a gzipped TAR archive from here:
The filename (minus extension) corresponds to the
symbol_code in the JSON format, including variations for day, night and polar day. This means there is no need for calculations or fetching data from the Sunrise service in order to present the correct weather icons.
The new format also includes UV radiation forecasts per location, to replace the old graphical UVforecast product. For those wanting UV maps these can be downloaded directly from CAMS.
We had originally planned to launch a token-based authentication scheme for version 2.0, however this has been postponed to a later date. As a consequence we have implemented stricter access controls in regards to the identification requirements in the Terms of Service, which state that you must send a unique identifier in the User-Agent header. Any requests with a prohibited or missing User-Agent will receive a 403 Forbidden error.
A shorter version with only the most used parameters
JSON forecast with all values. This will shortly be expanded with probabilities, so that each variable will be repeated for a set of percentiles.
The old XML format, now considered legacy. It matches the output of version 1.9 closely, but includes more time periods. Future new parameters will not be added to this version.
latitude in decimal degrees, mandatory
longtitude in decimal degrees, mandatory
whole meters above sea level (integers), optional but recommended for precise values.
https://api.met.no/weatherapi/locationforecast/2.0/compact?lat=-16.516667&lon=-68.166667&altitude=4150# El Alto, Bolivia
https://api.met.no/weatherapi/locationforecast/2.0/classic?lat=60.10&lon=9.58# Classic XML
With locationforecast 2.0 there is a new corresponding set of weather icons matching the
symbol_code variable in the JSON output:
Wind direction denote where the wind is coming from, where 0° is north, 90° east, etc. For GUI applications use we suggest using arrows, like these:
Operational status for the model can be checked like this:
The XML Schema is available at
Schema for the JSON format is included in the OpenAPI spec:
While we only serve current forecasts via the API, you can find historical forecast model data in NetCDF format on http://thredds.met.no/thredds/metno.html.
- Beta period nearing completion.
- XML is now split into different "classic" method.
- Stricted controls on User-Agent header to avoid throttling.
- Beta version of new locationforecast based on FORTI instead of WDB
- New version 1.9. Old version, 1.8, will expire on 2014-09-09
- new weather symbols are added for finer scale representation of the weather situation, see https://api.met.no/weatherapi/weathericon/1.1/documentation .
- weather symbol ids changed to CamelCase
- "celcius" unit name corrected to "celsius"
- version 1.5 of locationforecast will expire at 2011-10-01. Note that log entry below stating that version 1.5 will be available until version 1.9 is released is no longer correct.
- New attributes for the precipitation element: minvalue, maxvalue and probability. Note that these attributes will only be available for locations in a limited area in Europe.
- 1.8 is meant as a transitional version, you may use 1.5 until we release version 1.9.
- Version 1.7 will be available until 2010-10-01.
- Precipitation and symbol values for the first time intervals have been missing in all earlier versions. This has now been corrected.
- 1.7 is meant as a transitional version, you may use 1.5 until we release version 1.8.
- Version 1.6 will be available until 2010-09-01.
- 1.6 is meant as a transitional version, meaning that you may use 1.5 until we release version 1.8.
- probability elements added.
- fewer elements available for EC-data.
- new element, humidity, added to location.
- version 1.4 will expire 2008-11-01.
- changes in
<model>element: Added attribute termin, replaced attribute timespan with the attributes from and to.
- version 1.3 will be available up to and including 2008-03-01.
- New version, 1.3, available.
- v1.3 includes element
<meta>, with info about the forecast models.
- v1.2 will be available up to and including 2007-11-15.
- New version, 1.2, available.
- Version 1.1 will be available up to and including 2007-10-02.
- Added xml-elements: fog and low/middle/high - clouds.
- Value of xml-element 'temperature' now originates from a different model-parameter.
- Locationforecast has now limited access
- Locationforecast is might return the XML as plain xml or zipped.
- Initial release version