api.met.no/weatherapi is an interface to a selection of data produced by MET Norway.
The data are available for use under a Creative Commons license.
See also separate conditions for use of the service.
All regular users of the API are strongly recommended to subscribe to our
API-users mailing list
as this is the only channel on which we will communicate planned changes outside
the API itself (see the archives
for past notifications).
For operational status and maintenance notifications, see status.met.no
(please bookmark in case there is a problem with the site).
For information on available data and how to access them, please
refer to the weatherapi
documentation. For a list of changes since version 2,
see the Release Notes for v.3.
Data owned by other institutions than MET Norway
is not available for unrestricted public use. This is
specified in the documentation of each product. Examples of such
products are the Nordic radar images and some satellite images.
Refer to the documentation of each product.
- Errornotifications 1.0
- Errornotifications - Error notifications from the WeatherAPI system
- Extremeforecast - Textual extreme forecast.
- ExtremesWWC 1.2
- ExtremesWWC - The Wettest, Warmest and Coldest places
- Forestfireindex 1.1
- ForestfireIndex - Reporting danger level of forest fires.
- Geosatellite 1.4
- Geosatellite - Images from geostationary satellites
- Gribfiles 1.1
- Gribfiles - Serve grib files on the coast from Oslo and Western Norway
- Icemap 1.0
- Icemap - Maps as images showing current ice conditions in the arctic regions.
- Lightning 1.0
- Lightning - lightning data delivered in UALF
- Locationforecast 1.9
- Locationforecast - Weather forecast for a specified place
- LocationforecastLTS 1.3
- LocationforecastLTS - Weather forecast for a specified place, long term support.
- MetAlerts 1.1
- MetAlerts - Weather alerts from the Norwegian Meteorological Institute
- Metgm 1.0
- Metgm - Deliver meteorological forecast data in METGM format for defined areas
- Mountaineasterobservations - manual observations from DNT mountain cabins during easter.
- NLAroutes 1.0
- NLAroutes - Vertical cross sections for flight routes
- Nowcast 0.9
- Nowcast - Nowcast for a specified place.
- Oceanforecast 0.9
- Oceanforecast - Ocean forecast for a specified place
- Polarsatellite 1.1
- Polarsatellite - Images from satellites in polar orbit
- Probabilityforecast 1.1
- Probabilityforecast - Probability forecast for a specified place
- Radar 1.5
- Radar - Radar images from various locations
- Radarlightning 1.1
- Radarlightning - Radar images from various locations
- Sigmets 1.0
- Sigmets - Get sigmets and airmets for Norway
- Spotwind 1.0
- Spotwinds - Spotwinds in XML
- Subjectiveforecast 1.0
- Subjectiveforecast - Forecasts and analyses charts from the meteorologist
- Sunrise 1.1
- Sunrise - When does the sun rise and set for a given place?
- Tafmetar 1.0
- Tafmetar - Receive Taf/Metar from airports
- Temperatureverification 1.0
- Temperatureverification - Verification of temperature forecast.
- Textforecast 1.6
- Textforecast - Textual weather forecast for all parts of the country
- Textlocation 1.0
- Textlocation - All available textual forecasts for a given point.
- Tidalwater 1.1
- Tidalwater - Tidal water information
- Turbulence 1.1
- Turbulence - Turbulence prognosis
- UVforecast 1.0
- UVforecast - A prognosis of UV radiation
- Upperwindweather 1.1
- Upperwindweather - Upperlevel wind and weather charts
- VerticalProfile 1.1
- Verticalprofile - Vertical profiles of wind and weather
- Weathericon 1.1
- Weathericon - deliver weather icons.
On Monday May 14th, 2018 from 07:00 to 13:00 UTC we will be running at 50%
capacity due to replacement of the cooling system in one of our data
centers. All services are expected to continue running, but latency times
and timeout errors may increase due to reduced capacity.
Also, as has been noted earlier, the domains api.yr.no and
beta.api.met.no will be turned off on June 11th, 2018.
Please switch your systems to use api.met.no instead.
As most of you probably have noticed, we upgraded api.met.no about A
week ago to the new version. After some initial performance problems we
managed to tune the caches so it is now handling traffic well.
Some users have reported problems accessing the API, mostly related to
not handling HTTPS and/or redirects. If you are getting "Failed to get
data from weather api. Reason: end tag name
</body> must match start tag
<hr> from line 5" this means you are trying to parse the HTML
message as XML instead of following the 301 redirect. We are also
working on recommendations for users using HTTPS via local proxies.
In order to ensure stability of our own services, we have also
introduced traffic rate limiting (and in some extreme cases, blocking)
receiving 429 status codes it means you are being throttled, either due
to a missing/generic User-Agent header and/or excessive traffic
Finally, we have noticed there is a lot of production traffic against
beta.api.met.no (which was only to be used for testing) as well as
api.yr.no (which has been deprecated for years). We would like to inform
you that these hostnames will be removed within a few months, so please
update your applications accordingly.
- Textforecast: gale and obs removed, 2018-06-07
gale* and obs* are no longer permitted values in the forecast parameter
- Textlocation: type parameter removed, 2018-06-07
Since there is no longer any types to filter on, the
has now been removed.
- Extremeforecast: End of life, 2018-05-01
Discontinuation of extremeforecast has been postponed until June 1st, 2018.
- Sunrise: version 2.0 beta: 2018-04-25
XML format trimmed, toned and beefed up, date and offset params are now mandatory.
Expected to go into production in beginning of May.
- Textlocation: discontinuation of flood warnings, 2018-04-05
Since NVE now offers flood warnings in standard CAP format via their API,
there is no longer any requirement for the MET API to offer these in our
proprietary format. As such they will no longer be issued, and the
parameter will be removed in a later update.
To download flood warnings in CAP format, please visit the NVE API at
- Mountaineasterobservations: version 1.0 : 2018-03-26
As of 2018 this product is no longer being produced.
The service will be removed from the API on June 1st.
Other data sources at MET Norway
- Frost, API for observations and climate data
- THREDDS for model and research data, including sea and ice models
See free meteorological data on met.no
for a complete list of data services.
For questions regarding rights to and use of data, see our Licensing and Data Policy.
For technical questions, contact technical personnel.