api.met.no/weatherapi is an interface to a selection of data produced by MET Norway.
The data are available for use under a Creative Commons license.
See also separate conditions for use of the service.
All regular users of the API are strongly recommended to subscribe to our
API-users mailing list
as this is the only channel on which we will communicate planned changes outside
the API itself (see the archives
for past notifications).
For operational status and maintenance notifications, see status.met.no
(please bookmark in case there is a problem with the site).
For information on available data and how to access them, please
refer to the weatherapi
documentation. For a list of changes since version 2,
see the Release Notes for v.3.
Data owned by other institutions than MET Norway
is not available for unrestricted public use. This is
specified in the documentation of each product. Examples of such
products are the Nordic radar images and some satellite images.
Refer to the documentation of each product.
- Airqualityforecast 0.1
- Airqualityforecast - Forecast of air-quality for locations in Norway
- Errornotifications 1.0
- Errornotifications - Error notifications from the WeatherAPI system
- ExtremesWWC 1.2
- ExtremesWWC - The Wettest, Warmest and Coldest places
- Forestfireindex 1.1
- ForestfireIndex - Reporting danger level of forest fires.
- Geosatellite 1.4
- Geosatellite - Images from geostationary satellites
- Gribfiles 1.1
- Gribfiles - Serve grib files on the coast from Oslo and Western Norway
- Icemap 1.0
- Icemap - Maps as images showing current ice conditions in the arctic regions.
- Lightning 1.0
- Lightning - lightning data delivered in UALF
- Locationforecast 1.9
- Locationforecast - Weather forecast for a specified place
- LocationforecastLTS 1.3
- LocationforecastLTS - Weather forecast for a specified place, long term support.
- MetAlerts 1.1
- MetAlerts - Weather alerts from the Norwegian Meteorological Institute
- Metgc 1.0
- Metgc - Deliver meteorological forecast data in METGC format for defined areas
- Metgm 1.0
- Metgm - Deliver meteorological forecast data in METGM format for defined areas
- NLAroutes 1.0
- NLAroutes - Vertical cross sections for flight routes
- Nowcast 0.9
- Nowcast - Nowcast for a specified place.
- Oceanforecast 0.9
- Oceanforecast - Ocean forecast for a specified place
- Polarsatellite 1.1
- Polarsatellite - Images from satellites in polar orbit
- Probabilityforecast 1.1
- Probabilityforecast - Probability forecast for a specified place
- Radar 1.5
- Radar - Radar images from various locations
- Radarlightning 1.1
- Radarlightning - Radar images from various locations
- Routeforecast 0.1
- Routeforecast - Maps and vertical cross sections for offshore flight routes
- Sigmets 1.0
- Sigmets - Get sigmets and airmets for Norway
- Spotwind 1.0
- Spotwinds - Spotwinds in XML
- Subjectiveforecast 1.0
- Subjectiveforecast - Forecasts and analyses charts from the meteorologist
- Sunrise 2.0
- Sunrise - Calculate sun/moon rise/set for a given place
- Tafmetar 1.0
- Tafmetar - Receive Taf/Metar from airports
- Textforecast 1.6
- Textforecast - Textual weather forecast for all parts of the country
- Textlocation - All available textual forecasts for a given point.
- Tidalwater 1.1
- Tidalwater - Tidal water information
- Turbulence 1.1
- Turbulence - Turbulence prognosis
- UVforecast 1.0
- UVforecast - A prognosis of UV radiation
- Upperwindweather 1.1
- Upperwindweather - Upperlevel wind and weather charts
- VerticalProfile 1.1
- Verticalprofile - Vertical profiles of wind and weather
- Weathericon 1.1
- Weathericon - deliver weather icons.
As mentioned earlier we are discontinuing some little used
products from api.met.no, here is a complete list:
On February 1st we will remove the following products from the
the route_fbno products (these will still be available for professional
users via NAIS which everybody seem to use anyway)
the landday/long, seabankday1 and metkyst products (which are used to
generate more comprehensive forecasts)
the iga_fbno43, easter and miskred products (which haven't been produced for years)
We have checked the logs and all of these have little or no traffic, so we
don't expect them to be missed. This is the full list of discontinued
easter, landday0, landday1, landday2, iga_fbno43, landlong, metkyst0,
metkyst1, miskred_north, miskred_south, route_fbno69, route_fbno70,
route_fbno72, route_fbno74, route_fbno75, route_fbno76, route_fbno77,
route_fbno78, route_fbno79, route_fbno80, seabankday1.
Also, on March 1st the textlocation service will be discontinued. We will
also remove the "land" product from the textforecast service. There will be
another forecast product to replace those two products, details of which are
to follow later.
At the same time, the product "seaoslofjord" containing forecasts for
Skagerrak and for the Norwegian coast from the Swedish border to Hordaland
will be discontinued. Forecasts for Skagerrak can be found in the "seabank"
product, while forecasts for the complete Norwegian coastline can be found
in the "coast" product.
We will soon also remove the errornotifications service, which is no longer
producing any data. This will be replaced by specific status messages for
Due to licensing issues, problems with authentication and abuse of the
service we have been forced to suspend delivery of
non-restricted geosatellite images to the general public. Currently
there are only 8 unrestricted pictures from a total of 2162 which we
are allowed to distribute freely, but we have seen repeated attempts
to download images which are clearly documented as not publicly
available. Until further notice the service will only be available
for our own sites yr.no and halo.met.no.
Also, as part of the European General Data Protection Regulations,
You can find the new text under
- Textforecast: land and seaoslofjord forecasts removed, 2019-03-01
Production of the "land" forecast will stop on March 1st, 2019, and will
be removed as a valid parameter value.
The product "seaoslofjord" containing forecasts for Skagerrak and for the
Norwegian coast from the Swedish border to Hordaland will be discontinued
from our Textforecast service from March 1st. Forecasts for Skagerrak can be
found in the "seabank" product, while forecasts for the complete Norwegian
coastline can be found in the "coast" product.
- Textlocation: product discontinued, 2019-03-01
The production of textlocation forecasts will be discontinued on March 1st, 2019.
- Textforecast: aw_enry replaced by aw_ento, 2019-02-01
Rygge airport is currently closed, so no ENRY forecasts have been issued
this year. Instead we are now producing aerodrome forecasts for Torp (ENTO).
iga_fbno43 has also not been in production for a long time and has been removed.
- Textforecast: several forecast types removed, 2019-02-01
On February 1st we will remove the following products:
- These will be replaced with the new routeforecast service for
automatically generated graphical forecast. The old route_fbno forecasts
will be available on NAIS for some time.
[% webroot %]/routeforecast/0.1/documentation (will switch to 1.0 soon)
- landday0-2, landlong, seabankday1 and metkyst0-1
- These are temporary files included in the more comprehensive forecasts
- easter, miskred_north, miskred_south, iga_fbno43
- These have not been produced for several years
- Routeforecast: Version 0.1: 2019-01-28
Initial prototype for testing. We will bump the version number to 1.0 when
- Airqualityforecast: Version 0.1: 2018-12-17
Added show=metadata parameter
Other data sources at MET Norway
- Frost, API for observations and climate data
- THREDDS for model and research data, including sea and ice models
See free meteorological data on met.no
for a complete list of data services.
For questions regarding rights to and use of data, see our Licensing and Data Policy.
For technical questions, contact technical personnel.