api.met.no/weatherapi is an interface to a selection of data produced by MET Norway.
The data are available for use under a Creative Commons license.
See also separate conditions for use of the service.
All regular users of the API are strongly recommended to subscribe to our
API-users mailing list
as this is the only channel on which we will communicate planned changes outside
the API itself (see the archives
for past notifications).
For operational status and maintenance notifications, see status.met.no
(please bookmark in case there is a problem with the site).
For information on available data and how to access them, please
refer to the weatherapi
documentation. For a list of changes since version 2,
see the Release Notes for v.3.
Data owned by other institutions than MET Norway
is not available for unrestricted public use. This is
specified in the documentation of each product. Examples of such
products are the Nordic radar images and some satellite images.
Refer to the documentation of each product.
- Errornotifications 1.0
- Errornotifications - Error notifications from the WeatherAPI system
- ExtremesWWC 1.2
- ExtremesWWC - The Wettest, Warmest and Coldest places
- Forestfireindex 1.1
- ForestfireIndex - Reporting danger level of forest fires.
- Geosatellite 1.4
- Geosatellite - Images from geostationary satellites
- Gribfiles 1.1
- Gribfiles - Serve grib files on the coast from Oslo and Western Norway
- Icemap 1.0
- Icemap - Maps as images showing current ice conditions in the arctic regions.
- Lightning 1.0
- Lightning - lightning data delivered in UALF
- Locationforecast 1.9
- Locationforecast - Weather forecast for a specified place
- LocationforecastLTS 1.3
- LocationforecastLTS - Weather forecast for a specified place, long term support.
- MetAlerts 1.1
- MetAlerts - Weather alerts from the Norwegian Meteorological Institute
- Metgm 1.0
- Metgm - Deliver meteorological forecast data in METGM format for defined areas
- NLAroutes 1.0
- NLAroutes - Vertical cross sections for flight routes
- Nowcast 0.9
- Nowcast - Nowcast for a specified place.
- Oceanforecast 0.9
- Oceanforecast - Ocean forecast for a specified place
- Polarsatellite 1.1
- Polarsatellite - Images from satellites in polar orbit
- Probabilityforecast 1.1
- Probabilityforecast - Probability forecast for a specified place
- Radar 1.5
- Radar - Radar images from various locations
- Radarlightning 1.1
- Radarlightning - Radar images from various locations
- Sigmets 1.0
- Sigmets - Get sigmets and airmets for Norway
- Spotwind 1.0
- Spotwinds - Spotwinds in XML
- Subjectiveforecast 1.0
- Subjectiveforecast - Forecasts and analyses charts from the meteorologist
- Sunrise 1.1
- Sunrise - When does the sun rise and set for a given place?
- Tafmetar 1.0
- Tafmetar - Receive Taf/Metar from airports
- Temperatureverification 1.0
- Temperatureverification - Verification of temperature forecast.
- Textforecast 1.6
- Textforecast - Textual weather forecast for all parts of the country
- Textlocation 1.0
- Textlocation - All available textual forecasts for a given point.
- Tidalwater 1.1
- Tidalwater - Tidal water information
- Turbulence 1.1
- Turbulence - Turbulence prognosis
- UVforecast 1.0
- UVforecast - A prognosis of UV radiation
- Upperwindweather 1.1
- Upperwindweather - Upperlevel wind and weather charts
- VerticalProfile 1.1
- Verticalprofile - Vertical profiles of wind and weather
- Weathericon 1.1
- Weathericon - deliver weather icons.
Due to licensing issues, problems with authentication and abuse of the
service we have been forced to suspend delivery of
non-restricted geosatellite images to the general public. Currently
there are only 8 unrestricted pictures from a total of 2162 which we
are allowed to distribute freely, but we have seen repeated attempts
to download images which are clearly documented as not publicly
available. Until further notice the service will only be available
for our own sites yr.no and halo.met.no.
Also, as part of the European General Data Protection Regulations,
You can find the new text under
On Monday May 14th, 2018 from 07:00 to 13:00 UTC we will be running at 50%
capacity due to replacement of the cooling system in one of our data
centers. All services are expected to continue running, but latency times
and timeout errors may increase due to reduced capacity.
Also, as has been noted earlier, the domains api.yr.no and
beta.api.met.no will be turned off on June 11th, 2018.
Please switch your systems to use api.met.no instead.
- MetAlerts: 2018-06-19
Support for filter on incidentName
- Textforecast: gale and obs removed, 2018-06-07
gale* and obs* are no longer permitted values in the forecast parameter
- Textlocation: type parameter removed, 2018-06-07
Since there is no longer any types to filter on, the
has now been removed.
- Sunrise: version 2.0 beta: 2018-04-25
XML format trimmed, toned and beefed up, date and offset params are now mandatory.
Expected to go into production in beginning of May.
- Textlocation: discontinuation of flood warnings, 2018-04-05
Since NVE now offers flood warnings in standard CAP format via their API,
there is no longer any requirement for the MET API to offer these in our
proprietary format. As such they will no longer be issued, and the
parameter will be removed in a later update.
To download flood warnings in CAP format, please visit the NVE API at
- Textlocation: removal of extreme, 2018-03-15
From May 2018 all "extreme" forecasts will only be delivered
via metalerts. This means those elements will no longer be
present in the textlocation XML, instead they must be fetched as CAP
from the metalerts product on the API.
Other data sources at MET Norway
- Frost, API for observations and climate data
- THREDDS for model and research data, including sea and ice models
See free meteorological data on met.no
for a complete list of data services.
For questions regarding rights to and use of data, see our Licensing and Data Policy.
For technical questions, contact technical personnel.